Thursday, October 11, 2012

International Day of the Girl

"It’s a day to celebrate the work being done worldwide by and for girls’ rights. And mind you, this isn’t just about doing work on behalf of girls — but supporting the many, many girls worldwide who are already engaged, quite literally, in changing the world."


Today the UN and the world celebrate the first International Day of the Girl. All over the globe, young women are advocating, educating, and facilitating change and it's time we celebrate the many successes of the women of the world. Growing up I always knew I would obtain higher education and pave the beginning steps of a path for my family in being a first-generation college student. Although the road to college was not always an easy task, I was fortunate enough to be blessed with a supportive family and insightful mentors who saw my potential and burning passion for academia. I learned the importance of perseverance and every accomplishment I've achieved thus far has been even more fulfilling, knowing I took the initiative to make things happen for myself. Not many young women today are fortunate enough to have that same opportunity, as I've experienced first-hand through my time acting as a mentor and role model for young women in different settings. Whenever I'm asked to tell an interesting fact I always beam when I say, "I have over two hundred kids." I have been blessed with many hardships (yes, I really do mean blessed!) in a sense that these seemingly detrimental experiences have lit a fire within me to empower young women in similar situations. I truly do believe life is not about what happens to you, but rather how you handle these situations. My favorite quote of all time by Oprah Winfrey, "You have to find what lights a spark in you so that in your own way you can illuminate the world," truly defines how I have set out to live my life. I am a mentor to over 200 girls ages 5-12 throughout different urban areas in New Jersey, who inspire me every day. Nothing is better than opening an e-mail, or picking up a phone call, or visiting these bright girls who offer so many hugs and hearing "I got an A on my spelling test" or "I was made captain of my cheer team" or "I made the symphony band at school." My mission is to teach these young women that you should never settle. Do not worry about what your parents have done, or what your friends are doing, you have to create opportunity yourself. Use education to reach your highest potential. Expand your mind and your horizons and always welcome new experiences with open arms. Educated girls are the most beautiful girls because they see how change can positively affect the world. Knowledge is something that can never be taken from you, so use it to your advantage. Use your voice and your passions to make a change. Today is an important day to me, as it should be for everyone. Without education, I would not have had even remotely close to the number of positive opportunities I've had or been able to realize the importance of giving back. Happy International Day of the Girl! 




No comments:

Post a Comment