Sunday, November 4, 2012

Home is Where the Heart Is

I am very fortunate to report that after a long week, I am back at school with power, ready to start classes back up tomorrow. So often we forget how seemingly common, trivial aspects of our life have such a vast impact on our day-to-day routines. Things like electricity, heat, a warm bed, and even small things like a pillow or blanket can negatively affect our state of mind when we are without them. Although I am blessed my small hometown of Galloway left unscathed in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, not everyone in my surrounding county is lucky enough to say the same. The Atlantic City boardwalk and surrounding beach towns, the place I call home, is now in ruins, and thousands of my neighbors are left without shelter, food, and their most personal belongings. It breaks my heart to think my mentees in Atlantic City, who were evacuated from their homes, only carrying a few small items,  now must return to an empty space where they once found solace. They all are remaining positive about the situation and are making the most of a devastating tragedy. My grandpa, the most positive man I know, lost a good portion of his property to the storm and is now in the process of rebuilding his home. My former director, Jeanne, and her family suffered from a fire, which burnt down their house and left family members in critical condition. I ask that you keep all of them in your thoughts and prayers. In this I must also note, "God only gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers."

I encourage you to take a look around and give thanks for those who are a part of your life. After the storm I was able to return home and spend some much-needed quality time with family and friends. Many thanks to my best friend Anna for housing me after I was evacuated from school. God truly works in mysterious ways and I am thankful to have had time to refocus my energy on my loved ones amidst this stressful time during the school year. We don't realize what we have until it's gone, and this is something I've kept in mind throughout the aftermath of the storm. Hold your loved ones close. A hug, a phone call, an e-mail never hurts because you never know what could happen. Reach out and donate your time to the relief effort. My dance studio and I are collecting food, toys, clothes, and school supplies, which will be donated directly to the Atlantic City school district. I am also working on a collaborative project to combine my platform with the relief effort, so stay tuned for more info. Stay safe and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment