Monday, December 31, 2012

A New Year and Another Chance to Get it Right



In reflecting on this past year I've realized that day to day, it seems as though nothing has changed, but looking at the grand scheme of things, in only a short 365 days, everything has changed. I look back on past photos and see great physical change in the span of a year, but more importantly, I see something that more and more people are beginning to notice: a brighter smile, a more confident stride, and a hearty, genuine laugh. One of my favorite bible verses, Proverbs 31:25 reads "She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." Through the relationships I've built and solidified with some very special individuals I am blessed to call my friends and family, I have learned a great deal about myself and how, by overcoming extreme cases of adversity, I have been able to bloom into an independent, confident young woman. 

For a good period of time I lost myself in pursuit of being perfect. My head was buried in the books, I kept to myself, and every tiny defeat I took to heart. It took a toll on my spirit, but because of it, I am now able to appreciate all life has to offer and that it's okay to enjoy the perks of being a 19 year old. I would be remiss if I failed to mention how many kind-hearted people left withstanding handprints on my fragile heart by challenging me to my fullest potential, by inspiring me just by being themselves, and believing in me at times when I didn't wholeheartedly believe in myself. This year I've learned the importance of our relationships with others. They can either help grow you, and if they don't serve a positive purpose of your life, they don't belong in it. You can't do everything on your own and it is completely acceptable to admit when you have too much on your plate. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but rather an indicator of strength. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. Kindness and authentic love is still among us, and sometimes we don't even realize it may be right in front of us because we are too busy searching for something else.

This year I also fell in love. I fell in love with life, with laughter, and most importantly, myself. My favorite of all; however, is falling in love with the little voices of young girls calling me "Miss Cierra."Of all the hats I wear, "Miss Cierra" is by far the best. The highlight of this year has been meeting and working with my Girl Scouts, my mentees in Atlantic City and Pleasantville, and gaining a set of little sisters when I was crowned Miss Cape Shores. Being a mentor and big sister is the most rewarding experience and 2013 will be devoted to making my girls proud. They have motivated me to appreciate even the most seemingly mundane or common things in life. I learned the real meaning of love, when another's accomplishments and tribulations become more important than your own.

I searched for my resolutions for 2012 to see how many I actually achieved and I couldn't help but giggle. "My goals for 2012 are to stop biting my nails (a horrible lifelong habit of mine), make top ten at Miss New Jersey and win a preliminary award, make the Deans list again next semester and get accepted to the honors college at Rutgers, make top ten at nationals with RUDT, get an internship with a law firm or non-profit, and to get in the best shape of my life." Although I'm still working on not biting my nails and RUDT is on its way to making top ten at nationals this year, I am proud to say I've achieved each of these goals. It's incredible the things you can accomplish when you write down set goals and take small strides towards achieving those goals each day. In 2012, I traveled to Europe for one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life thus far, I secured my dream internship with the ACLU-NJ(as I like to say, my first big girl job!), laughed more than I cried, won talent for the second year in a row and made top ten at Miss New Jersey, earned a 4.0 in my hardest semester yet, and realized my dream of working with juveniles and underprivileged populations as an attorney.

As many goals as I do have for the new year, I want to share my favorite with you. Oprah once said, "You have to find what lights a spark in you so that in your own way you can illuminate the word."The idea of being a light to ignite a flame in others, and letting that light shine bright for everyone to see has been following me since last April. My resolution for 2013 is to continue to use my passions to inspire others to find their own. The greatest thing I can do for others is to encourage them to find that one thing that makes them come alive and push them to be involved in positive activity. I want to be the best friend/sister/mentor/daughter/loved one I possibly can be, and that goal can't be accomplished in just one year. I am constantly growing, striving, and thriving to do the things I love and be someone others can look up to. 

I am wishing you all a Happy New Year and another chance to get it right, whatever your "it" may be. Use this new year for self improvement and achieve all those goals you've dreamed of. Take risks and never second guess yourself and your capabilities. Be healthy, be happy, and be you!

No comments:

Post a Comment