Friday, August 10, 2012

Pleasantville Rec Center Summer Camp/Millville Girl Scouts Last Meeting


This past Tuesday I was invited to the Pleasantville Recreation Center's Summer Camp to give arts empowerment workshops to two extremely bright and talented groups of girls. I was honored and flattered to attend, knowing that the rec center is in the middle of rehearsals for their annual talent show and yet they still wanted me to make a guest appearance (and I know how grueling and tedious rehearsals can be!) I saw a few familiar faces from working closely in the area with other organizations, and I was reminded why I love working tirelessly on my platform when the girls immediately recognized me and swarmed me into a group hug. The girls and I discussed the importance of self-confidence; they expressed concerns about their insecurities and how they could combat their fears of performing in front of a large audience. Not only were these lovely young ladies insightful, but blew me away with their dancing capabilities. They picked up a full routine within our forty minute time slot and danced with so much spunk that I could not believe my eyes. I hope the girls enjoyed themselves because I sure did!
Tuesday also marked the end of the my visits with a Girl Scout troop I assembled in Millville, New Jersey. Since I'll be going back to school, I'll be unable to lead our weekly meetings, which we will resume in May when I'm home for the summer months. It was a bittersweet "I'll see you later" because these girls have become an integral aspect of my life. Every time I felt discouraged or needed a pick-me-up, seeing these girls truly brightened my whole week. The tenacity and zest for life my girls have despite the adversity they face makes me strive to live my life with a smile on my face signifying invincible determination. I carry a part of each of my girls everywhere I go and I hope my lessons stick with them as they start a new school year with endless possibilities. We, of course, went out with a bang, Girl Scout style, and had a party equipped with cookies, cupcakes, and dancing (my favorite things!) The girls got together to express their thanks by writing me a beautiful card and awarding me with a picture frame, which reads "Sisters," because that is what we are. I could not think of a more heartfelt, touching gift and I know exactly where I'll put it in my dorm room. 
I wanted to do something special for the girls and leave something for them that they could cherish and use as a reminder that I will always be there for them. After discussing with one of the girls her financial struggles at home I decided to put my planning skills to the test and started a "Stuff a Backpack" Drive to collect backpacks filled with school supplies and snacks the girls could use for the upcoming school year. It's the little luxuries, like backpacks and school supplies, that many take for granted. To these young girls who very rarely receive nice gestures, simply knowing that they can have a better educational experience because someone cares enough about them to want to help them makes such a significant difference. Education paves the way for many disadvantaged students to achieve their dreams and I want my girls to have the best because that's what they deserve. I've already drummed up a lot of support and received my first donation today! 


No comments:

Post a Comment